The earliest evidence we have relating specifically to Ty Mawr dates to 1584 when the house was called Talyllyn House. At the time Hugh Powell resided there, as Lord of the Manor of Llangasty Talyllyn. However, it is possible that the house dates back further. Some sources suggest that the manor of Llangasty Talyllyn was once given to Reginald Walbeoffe by Bernard de Neufmarche, a Norman warlord who conquered Brecon around 1093. De Neufmarche had seized the land from Bleddin ap Maenarch, a native Welsh lord. It is unclear whether or not this refers to the actual house here, or to the manorial parish of Llangasty Talyllyn on the south side of the lake. A motte (an earthen castle mound) is situated very close to the house, showing signs of Norman activity in the area immediately surrounding the house.
In June 2019 the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority produced a report which presented the results of historical research, field survey and excavation carried out on the buried remains of a substantial Elizabethan and later manor house at Ty Mawr, LLangasty Talyllyn, Powys between 1993 - 2001.
The current owners of Ty Mawr have carried out extensive research on the property and full details can be found at https://www.lime.org.uk/history-of-the-farm
Source: Ty Mawr Lime website
Treberfedd House Llangasty
A Grade I-listed Victorian house set in 10 acres of stunning gardens and woodlands with views across Llangorse lake to the Black Mountains. Designed by architect John Loughborough Pearson, the house has striking features of its period – from gargoyles and stained-glass windows to a billiards room and secret passageway. A fine example of Victorian Gothic revival.
The house was built for Robert and Francis Raikes who had strong Christian beliefs. They were greatly influenced by the 'Oxford Movement' and set about establishing their own base and put into practice 'Tractarian Principles'. The house is still owned and occupied by the Raikes family.
Treholford House, Cathedine
Three storey house to the right was built in 1796 and the large two storey Regency wing was added 1837. C17 elements recorded by Brycheiniog to rear. The earlier house was built by Champion de Crespigny who also owned Ty Mawr and was High Sheriff 1796. The property was bought from Crespigny by JPW Gwynne Holford who erected the later wing reputedly for use as a Dower House. In order to marry the two separate buildings together the left wing of the 1796 house was itself converted into two floors to create a more seamless join. Behind the 1796 house evidence has been found of an earlier C17 building.
The interior largely retains the plan established in the remodelling of 1837 and many of its late C18 and early C19 fittings including shutters, panelled reveals and soffit, 6-panelled doors and contemporary glass in the sashes. The house is Grade II listed due to its architectural merit and its association with estate owning families.
The Gwynne Holford family also owned Buckland Estate nearby at Talybont. Owner at time of Cathedine Tithe 1839 was a Holford and outline of building only is shown, not hatched, which might imply it was still unfinished at time of survey. JPW Gwynne Holford (1833-1916), presumably the son of the builder of the Regency house, was Deputy Lieutenant for Brecon and MP for Brecknockshire 1870-90. The entrance alterations were probably carried out under his ownership. The estate sold following his death in 1919. Holford family also owned Westonbirt in Gloucestershire.
Built 1816 probably associated with the nearby Hay Railway opened 1816, with the station at Tal-y-llyn junction close by to N. Brick, unusual in this stone built area, was probably brought in by the tramroad. Stone L shaped wing maybe an earlier house converted or a coachouse wing; it is now a separate dwelling used for holiday accommodation. Links to the De Winton and Cobb families
Grade II listed - Included as a medium sized Regency country house with important historical associations with early railway development in the area.
Trebinshun Farm & House
A house was first built at Trebinshun in 1588. It has a Georgian frontage and alterations which have been carried out over subsequent years. The house stands in its own small estate and large gardens in a beautiful and very peaceful valley.
A circular ruined building, probably built early - mid C19 as a folly and as a focus for riding, hunting or walking expeditions. It is likely to have been associated with the large Buckland Estate but as the Gwynne Holfords also had nearer lands to the east it is equally possible that it related to Treholford which was built in 1796 and enlarged in 1837. Plan as at present on Tithe of 1841.
Grade II listed - Included as the remains of an unusual earlier C19 recreational building with picturesque connotations.
Description: A circular building, no longer complete, of stone rubble with dressed stone dressings; joist holes are evidence of a former timber roof. Large central circular chimney with narrow stringcourse and a circular external wall, the space between divided by angled walls into 4 wedge-shaped rooms each with a fireplace. These are low and with narrow voussoirs with the chimney breast above curving outwards; above are angled joist holes. Dividing walls do not meet the external wall allowing a circuit walk just inside; external walls have pointed arched entrance doorways, some still complete, some blocked, the main entrance group of 3 facing W all retain their heads; signs of former internal and external lime render. Extending to right is a slightly curved wall and damaged entrance to a now ruinous roughly rectangular wing. To left a longer wall with a more pronounced curve with blind archway - apparently an original feature - extends towards a separate rectangular building standing roughly to wallplate and gable level with dividing internal ground floor wall. To rear is a ruined retaining wall to the hillside terrace on which this building complex stands.
Sources: various + britishlistedbuildings.co.uk
Llangorse Primary School, built in 1973, which replaced all other schools around the lake. Closed February 2018
This is the New School *****
Hen Ysgol, Cathedine
Hen Ysgol, Llangasty-Talyllyn
The village of Bwlch being situated on the main drovers route between London and Fishguard was an important Coaching Village and at one time boasted seven Inns.
Village halls built in four locations played an important part in the social developement of the area.
Llanfihangel Talyllyn & Llanywern Village Hall
In the 1920s the village Schoolmaster Mr Trevor Thomas "TC" who was a talented playwright, wrote and produced many plays that were put on in his school, often attracting large audiences. In 1927, The Rector at that time saw the need for a Church Hall, and set himself a target of ten years to raise £1,000 to build and furnish a new Hall. Ground was gifted by Mrs J.D. Powell of Llangorse, and the contract was let to local builder Mr W. Hoby for the price of £870.00, leaving enough money to provide 8 second hand oil lights, a piano and 150 chairs. Heating was provided by two open hearth fires, one on each side of the hall. The Hall was completed two years ahead of target, and was officially opened on 23rd October 1935 by Mrs Faith Llewellin of "Glynderi" Talyllyn.
The Hall was an intricate part of the village school, used for the preparation and serving of school meals. When the village school closed in 1973, the future of the hall was also put in jeopardy, and a local referendum was held to decide if a village hall was still required and whether to retain the old school or the Church Hall. The result was an overwhelming vote to retain the hall and led to a revival of interest, which started a rolling program of minor improvements and serious fund raising, leading to a major refurbishment commencing in 2000. The Hall was officilly re-opened by the late Mr Richard Livsey, MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, and resident of Llanfihangel Talyllyn.
Llangasty Talyllyn Village Hall
Llangasty Village Hall has changed little since it was built in 1929 in the Arts and Crafts style to commemorate the lives of Robert and Rosa Raikes. The hall was built, by their children, for community use but with a strong ethos of Christian fellowship. It is quite isolated and has spectacular views over Llangors Lake.
The Raikes family lived in Treberfedd House Llangasty and also built a school for the local children (now a private home) by the church in Llangasty.
Llangasty Hall, located at the foot of the Allt and overlooking
Llangorse Lake to the north, is an excellent venue for privite
functions, including Wedding and Family Parties, etc.
Prior to building the new Llangors Community Centre in the year 2000, Llangors Hall was an old tin building located on the junction of the B4560, just above the Llangors School car park area.
Places of Worship
Five Chapels were located in villages around the Lake, of differing denominations, Methodists, Presbyterian and Congregational. Now the only Chapel still open is Tabernacle Pennorth, which in 1972 under the Act of Union joined The United Reformed Church URC.
Pennorth Chapel (Tabernacle)
People from the area joined congregations at The Aber near Talybont, but during the winter it was frequently difficult to cross the flooded River Usk, so from 1813 meetings were held at The Neuadd Farm at Scethrog. The school room at the rear of Pennorth Chapel would appear to have been built (plague on the wall) in 1841 and the main building was rebuilt in1893. The cottage to the side of The Chapel was added during the 1850s by the Minister Revd. P.G. Thomas with the assistance of a few neighbours, he is said to have paid for all extras out of his own pocket. His salary at that time was £23 per year.
St. Michael's Church, Llanfihangel-Talyllyn
Saint Paulinus Church, Llangors